Technological advancements have created a seismic shift in consumer behaviour. As a consequence, more and more companies and start-ups are following suit, and a lot of today’s business is conducted not from the office place but online from home.
This new digital-based remote work dynamic has spawned scores of opportunities for freelancers to go from project to project as they wish or for salary employees to take on side projects for extra money. In fact, if you are willing to put in the time, there are many weird and wonderful ways to earn extra cash.
In this short article, we’ll take a look at three more ‘traditional’ ways you can make extra money working out of your home (often with little to no training or experience necessary). The best job search platform for finding online work in the US is Lensa, as it uses AI to match your skills to a company position increasing your chances of finding your dream job.
Recording audio from a script is a service that is used by many start-ups, agencies, companies, and freelancers. Some of the most common functions for voice-over work include:
- e-learning apps – language learning, software tutorials, and scholastic support
- Audiobooks – fiction and non-fiction, adult and children’s literature
- Video games – role play and pre-determined character reactions
- Online advertising – social media posts, radio spots, podcasts.
Some clients will want native speakers, some want accents. Regardless of your voice or accent, you should be able to find a client or clients who want exactly what you can offer. No professional training is required, but if you have any kind of background in drama or theatre, that is always a plus.
- A quiet space – soundproofing At a minimum, you need a quiet room – no traffic noise, electrical buzzing from poor lighting or appliances. This may be enough, but it is also worth considering some kind of sound dampening or soundproofing so as to reduce the natural reverberations. For DIY enthusiasts, this can be accomplished with egg cartons, cardboard, rugs, curtains, or blankets mounted on the walls. Otherwise, you can buy soundproofing panels starting at around $20.
- Microphone Chances are that the microphone that comes with your laptop or phone isn’t going to do the trick. Quality microphones start at around $40 and can go as high as $250.
Where To Find Voice-Over Work
You could start from scratch and use platforms such as Fiverr or Upwork – online marketplaces for freelancers. However, it will probably take you a long time to attract clients and you would need to start off at sub-market-standard rates. Instead, consider applying to agencies that specialize in this kind of service, agencies that already have a more or less steady workflow.
The tasks and responsibilities of a virtual assistant vary wildly depending on who you work for and what kind of skills you are marketing. Anyone from corporate executives to private individuals and social media influencers seeks the help of a virtual assistant. For a more thorough examination, check out this article on how to become a virtual assistant.
Typical services that a virtual assistant provides include:
- Answering phone calls
- Sending and responding to emails
- Following up on orders placed and after-sales services
- Engaging with followers on social media platforms
- Online research
- Making travel accommodations
To start off as a virtual assistant, the technical requirements are quite low. You probably have everything you need already.
- Excellent broadband internet connection
Where To Find Work as a Virtual Assistant
There are essentially three paths you can take to find work as a virtual assistant. You can find your niche, see where your services would be most appreciated, and reach out to potential clients directly. You could contact temp agencies that specialize in virtual assistant work.
Data entry work consists of inputting information, typically onto spreadsheets or specific company software systems. Data entry work can also consist of transcribing audio files into a written format.
Data entry work is suitable for someone with decent to good typing skills, someone with attention to detail, and who can work within often tight deadlines.
With little more than a laptop and a good internet connection, you can begin doing data entry work.
In a Nutshell
In today’s digital climate, it is possible to make extra cash from the comfort of your own home. Building a client list doesn’t happen overnight, but there are agencies and job portals that can help. With limited technical requirements and little to no prior experience, there are many online services you can provide to earn extra money or even make it your primary source of income. If you’re looking for a career change starting out with a flexible online environment can be beneficial to set up your career goals.